The Yukon 1000 is an annual paddle race. Thousands of teams apply to enter and a maximum of 40 teams (80 racers) will race each year.
2023 race dates > coming soon
Briefing: Friday AM
Kit check: Friday PM
Race start: Saturday AM
Canoe & Kayak racers:
Briefing: Saturday AM
Kit check: Saturday PM
Race start: Sunday AM
Start location: Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada
Finish location: Dalton Highway Bridge, Alaska, USA
The nature of this race makes it truly expeditionary and extreme, therefore we look for people with a general outdoors background and not purely those who have mastered their vessel class. This race is in every way about your individual outdoor confidence and ability to survive and self-rescue, as it is about paddling. Applicants often fail to gain a place on the race due to their poor due diligence and integrity; this is sadly why we reject far more people than we select. Please ensure all application information is accurate and true – this is an insurance requirement as well as a vetting tool.
We are looking for: bush craft, medical, paddle class experience and a positive attitude go a long way. Experience does not need to be courses and formal qualifications, but bush time and a passion for the outdoors is often obvious in successful application.
Applications will open in late August for the following year’s race. We maintain a wait-list of teams and seek to confirm final race teams as soon as possible given the significant levels of training and preparation required. Successful applicants must supply all required information within required timelines, pay their racer fees, accept the terms and conditions and to digitally sign a waiver
Teams will receive recommendations on how to prepare – this is an online session for approximately 1 hour. Those that are successful will have the necessary skills and knowledge to prepare for such an expeditionary race. A mandatory kit list must be adhered to by all teams – no kit, no race.
The 2023 race fee is $3,150 CAD per person, which includes a $500 CAD non-refundable registration fee. The registration fee must be paid in full in order to confirm your place on the race.
- Field Rescue Cover
- Appropriate safety measures depending on race conditions
- Insurance from the point of injury, to the nearest hospital or appropriate medical care
- Reach Back Medical Advice 24hrs Operations room with a doctor
- 24hrs Race Monitoring and welfare line for families and friends
- Social media coverage and photos
- Boat pick up and equipment at the end
- Burgers and beer upon arrival at the finish line
- T-shirts and recognition reward
What’s not included:
- Boat and equipment hire
- Your personal medical and travel insurance
- Your cross-border U.S ESTA/Visa
- A room at the Dalton Motel (finish line accommodation)
- We cannot take any personal belongings to the finish point